Dance Base is recruiting for a new Programmes Manager
The Programmes Manager is responsible for organising and overseeing the production and coordination of Dance Base’s Professional Dance Programmes. This role will also line manage the Programmes Coordinator, whose role is to provide administrative support to the professional and participatory dance programmes.
Line managed by Head of Catalyst Artist Development & Support, the Programmes Manager will work closely with the Artistic Director to ensure the effective management and implementation of this area of work and work in conjunction with other departments where necessary: marketing and communications, finance, participation and operations.
Working in collaboration with the Artistic Director, the Programmes Manager will support the Artistic Director’s vision and produce and manage the Dance Base’s professional strand of work which, currently includes:
- The annual Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- Weekly professional classes and residency programmes
- The Dancers Emerging Bursary Scheme (DEBS)
- The Dance Base Associate Artists scheme
- PRIME: a semi-professional dance company for older adults
Where capacity allows, this role supports Head of Catalyst. This includes: attending performances, supporting the effective delivery of projects alongside Head of Catalyst. Working closely with the Artistic Director, this role will be key to shaping and delivering these programmes and new strands of work.
Key duties include:
Managing and overseeing all aspects of Dance Base’s professional programmes including classes, residencies and the DEBS scheme.
- Overseeing the scheduling of the professional programme using Mindbody (CRM system)
- Overseeing the timetabling and contracting all freelance artists delivering Dance Base professional programme
- Liaising with the marketing and communications team on marketing and brochure production including the sourcing of copy and images from artists and working to tight deadlines
- Organising, coordinating and, as appropriate, responding to feedback of the professional programme with the Artistic Director
- Issuing company contracts to performers at Dance Base or in other venues
- Overseeing the arrangement of travel and accommodation as appropriate for visiting artists
- Supporting the Artistic Director in overseeing the facilities and resources available to professionals
- Keeping accurate data for the programmes and arranging programme debriefs
Acting as lead producer for the annual Dance Base Festival Programme. This includes:
- Working closely with the Head of Finance to develop and manage the Fringe budget
- Liaise with the Marketing & Communications team on print, brochures, logistics and strategies
- Liaising with all incoming artists/producers in close dialogue with the Artistic Director
- Identifying and coordinating appropriate space and production support for incoming artists
- Acting as a central point of contact for artists and liaising with relevant Dance Base teams to promote and support the artists
- Negotiating production/performance deals and settlements
- Negotiating logistical and financial parameters as determined by Dance Base Business Plan and Budget 2018-2021
- Producing contracts and contras for artists and companies
- Representing the Dance Base Fringe Programme at internal and external events as necessary
- Managing logistics for companies prior to arrival
- Working with Front of House and Box Office teams, passing an all logistical information
- Putting together and sending out all company settlements and complete all funding reports as required
- Liaising with Production Manager for all aspects of the hiring process for all technical staff, issuing contracts
Working closely with the Artistic Director, General Manager and Head of Catalyst Artist Development & Support to develop the international strand of work. The postholder will:
- Schedule any events/showcases
- Liaise with national and international dance and culture partners on logistics, coordination and production of international research, residencies, exchanges and productions
- Liaise with artists’ producers, receiving venues’ production and technical teams
- Coordinate agreements for all artists, companies, venues and practitioners
- Coordinate fees, travel, accommodation, subsistence, space and technical for all artists and producers
- Liaise with all incoming artists/producers in close dialogue with the Artistic Director
- Where appropriate, negotiate production/performance deals and settlements
- Produce contracts and contras for artists and companies
The Dance Base Associate Artists Programme
- Supporting the Head of Catalyst with the management of the Associate Artist programme
- Managing the call out and interview process, responding to all questions and applicants on behalf of the wider team
- Minuting and contributing to quarterly meetings
- Supporting all selected AAs throughout the year, with space booking, residencies, budget management, funding support and project management
- Potential Future Tour Management
Catalyst/Artist Development & Support
- Taking bookings for professional surgeries in Edinburgh
- Collating information about other surgeries happening in Scotland for webpage and brochure
- Support Head of Catalyst and the Scottish based artists community wherever possible.
- Project manage showcases and one-off professional events
- Assist the team with Dance Base’s membership within the European Dancehouse Network and work with Head of Catalyst to arrange EDN projects.
Finance Management and Fundraising
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to be responsible for managing, authorising and monitoring the professional programme budgets
- Pay special care and attention to ensuring that invoices match the budgeted amounts
- Support the development of fundraising application and preparation of reports to funders relating to the professional programmes
PRIME: Scotland's First Semi-Professional Dance Company for Over-60s
- Manage correspondence with the company around classes, events and projects
- Confirm class teachers with Artistic Director, confirm with teachers and issue contracts
- Manage budget and assist with funding applications
- Potential Future Tour Management
The Dancers Emerging Bursary Scheme (DEBS)
- Confirm mentor with Artistic Director and liaise with mentor on all elements of the programme
- Confirm and book audition date and work with mentor on the call out
- Work with Marketing and Communication team to collate info on new DEBS for website
- Liaise with selected DEBS candidates and the mentor throughout their time with Dance Base
- Manage budget
Line Management and staff support
- Line managing the Programmes Coordinator, supporting them in their work for the programming department and working with them on various elements of the professional programme including scheduling, contracts, website, liaising with artists, general assistance and support for programme and projects
- Supporting professional, marketing, participation, FOH and finance with various elements across the year to ensure the smooth follow of information and action.
- To ensure Dance Base’s values of artistic excellence, creativity, Equalities, Diversity & Inclusivity, environment, responsibility and participation are prevalent in your personal attitude and approach to all work and decision making.
- To ensure, when representing the organisation to external bodies and users, that Dance Base is represented in a professional and welcoming manner
- A commitment to the purpose and spirit of Dance Base’s mission, vision and core aims
- A positive and respectful attitude to all Dance Base staff, its management, the organisation as a whole, and its customers, users and stakeholders.
- A commitment to professional development training
- To attend fortnightly staff meetings and other planning and reporting meetings as required
- To abide by the terms of Dance Base’s Staff Handbook
- To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required by the Artistic Director, General Manager and Head of Catalyst.
This Job Description is intended as a guide to the nature of the work required of this position, it is neither comprehensive nor restricted and is subject to review.
Dance Base Programmes Manager person specification:
A confident, bright and dedicated project manager/events manager/producer who works to a high standard with excellent levels of service and results. A person with very high expectations of themselves and others, with an eye for detail and the ability to complete projects successfully and maintain delivery at a consistently high standard.
- Festival, events and dance production experience
- Extensive Project Management and budgeting experience
- Skilled problem solver
- Gifted communicator, able to translate creative ideas into logistical planning
- Experience of working with international colleagues
- Experience of working with live performance
- Outstanding arts administration skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong IT skills: Microsoft Office applications, scheduling systems, databases, mail merge etc.
- A flexible working approach
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently and manage your own work load
- Committed to continued professional development, learning new skills and sharing them with others
- A knowledge of and passion for dance
- Experience of using and interpreting data from a CRM/bookings system.
- Experience of working in a venue
- A second language
- Understanding and experience of both creative and production processes
Terms and conditions
Salary: £26,500 per annum
Hours & place of work: 40 hours per week, Dance Base, Edinburgh with the need for travel as required both nationally and Internationally
Contract: Full-Time Permanent
Holidays: 32 days paid holiday per year pro-rata with 10 designated public holidays.
Overtime: No overtime is payable but will be given as Time off in Lieu with the agreement of your Line Manager.
To apply for the post, please download and complete the application form and Equal Opportunities form at the foot of this page, marking the envelope with the code ‘PM19’ and post a hard copy to:
Or send your application forms in via email to:
email@example.com with your name and ‘PM19’ in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is Monday 30 September at 10.00 and interviews will be held on Monday 7 October.
Please note, CVs will not be accepted.
We look forward to receiving your application and thank you for your interest in Dance Base
Dance Base is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all sectors of the community.