Image credit: Marios Ento-Engkolo, Dualism / Photo by Amy Sinead
Deadline: Friday 15 September 2023, 11:00am
Are you a dance artist or choreographer? Do you have an idea in the works that you want to share with an audience? Then the Dance Base Scratch Night is for you!
The Dance Base Scratch Night is a unique platform in Edinburgh that brings live dance work to audiences and creates a supportive platform for dance and movement artists to try out ideas on the stage, experiment with an audience and share their work with their peers, the sector and the public.
Our next Scratch Night will take place on Sunday 29 October and we are now looking for artists to join us! For this edition, the programme will be curated by Dance Base Artistic Director Tony Mills.
“As usual we welcome submissions from a variety of artistic backgrounds, subject matters and genres. With this in mind, for this edition I’m interested to programme such work that contains a good degree of physicality and bodies (or a body) moving through space. This is by no means exclusive. We remain open to a variety of ideas but this will be something I’m thinking about when taking a look at submissions.” — Tony Mills
What we are looking for?
- We are seeking proposals of any genre from independent dance/movement artists and choreographers based in Scotland to perform in the Studio 1 theatre space at Dance Base on Sunday 29 October 2023.
- This should be a work in progress currently in existence, not a completed piece.
- The work should be 10 – 20 mins duration.
- The work will need to be able to be presented with basic technical requirements and minimal technical rehearsal time.
- We would like to present a mixed bill of four performances with a variety of company sizes – solos, duets and group pieces – and we have funding to support a total of 12 individuals for the event.
What the selected artists will receive:
- A £200 performance fee per company member.
- Travel and accommodation expenses if based outside of Edinburgh.
- An additional budget to cover any access requirements as required to support your engagement in the week, including childcare costs.
- Studio space from 10:00 – 19:00 on Sunday 29 October at Dance Base for rehearsal ahead of the performance.
- Technical support from two theatre technicians during the day on Sunday 29 October to incorporate sound and lighting into your live work and a 90-minute technical rehearsal.
- Full documentation of the performance (photos/film).
- Access to a live audience of peers, industry members and the public and a feedback session after the performance structured as you wish
Deadline: Friday 15 September, 11:00am
Artists Informed: Thursday 21 September
To find out more, please download our application pack below and complete the Online Application form to apply.
If you are reading this and wondering if it is for you then please do read on – and if you have any questions, need some assistance with your application, or have any access requirements that we need to meet, then our team are here to help! Please just contact Kirsty Somerville on Kirsty.Somerville@dancebase.co.uk to arrange a time to speak.