Image credit: by Amy Sinead, of PRIME performing Toeing by Line? by Steinvor Palsson
Deadline: Thursday 9 November 2023, 11:00am
Dance Base are delighted to announce that we are now recruiting new members to join PRIME, our in-house dance company for those aged over 60 years old!
PRIME are Dance Base’s resident dance performance company for dancers aged over 60 years old.
Created by Morag Deyes in 2015, PRIME was born from a desire to change the under-representation of older dancers on stage and to actively challenge stereotypes around ageing, ability, and who can be a dancer.
Since their creation PRIME have worked with some of the best choreographers in the UK to perform progressive and creative choreography which empowers dancers and audiences alike to explore their full potential in life and dance. They have toured nationally and internationally and participated in many festivals including the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Luminate and Singapore Silver Arts Festival.
The company are led by their Artistic Director Steinvor Palsson who took over the role from Dance Base’s previous Artistic Director Morag Deyes in 2022. Under Steinvor’s guidance the company created Toeing the Line?, their longest work to date, and have worked with choreographers including Robbie Synge, Sally Potter, Lewis Normand and Aya Kobayashi.
The company currently has 13 members aged between 65 and 80 years old, and we are thrilled that we are now able to welcome 2-3 new members to join PRIME and be part of the company’s next creative chapter!
What does being a member of PRIME involve?:
As a member of the company you will:
- Take part in a weekly PRIME Company Class on Tuesday’s 14:15 – 15:45. These will run in line with the class terms at Dance Base Spring (January – April), Summer (April – June) and Autumn (September – December). Attendance at class is a compulsory element of being part of the company and all members are expected to attend these sessions.
- Attend additional residency weeks, rehearsal days or workshop events throughout the year. All dates will be communicated in good time
- Take part in performances with the Company throughout the year. All dates will be communicated in good time and will usually include a performance in August at the Fringe Festival and in December at the Dance Base Christmas Show as a minimum.
- Agree to abide by the PRIME Code of Conduct which will be developed and refreshed by the Artistic Director and PRIME members through the year
Who can apply?:
In order to join PRIME you must meet the below criteria:
- Be aged 60 or above from the 1 January 2024
- Have a strong dance practice in any dance style. You do not need to have any formal training but you must be confident in the practice of at least one dance style. Please note that while PRIME do work across different dance styles the majority of the company’s practice is based in Contemporary technique so some familiarity with this would be useful.
- Be confident and comfortable in working collaboratively with the other PRIME members
- Be confident performing on stage
- Be confident in learning set choreography
- Be comfortable with improvision practice
- Be based in the Edinburgh City Region. This covers East Lothian, Edinburgh, Fife, Midlothian, Scottish Borders and West Lothian
Dance Base are committed to increasing the diversity of dance artists performing in Scotland and welcome applications from those who identify as having characteristics currently under-represented in dance in Scotland, especially from those who identify as being Black or POC (person of colour).
- Deadline for applications: Thursday 9 November at 11:00am
- Panel Meeting: Wednesday 15 November
- Applicants Informed by: Thursday 16 November
- Workshop Audition Day: Sunday 26 November
- Applicants Informed by: Friday 1 December
If you feel this opportunity is right for you, please download our application pack below to find out more information and complete the Online Application Form.
If you are reading this and wondering if it is for you then please do read on – and if you have any questions, need some assistance with your application, or have any access requirements that we need to meet, then our team are here to help! Please just contact Kirsty Somerville on Kirsty.Somerville@dancebase.co.uk to arrange a time to speak.