Image credit: by Infinite Blue Designs, of Scopaesthesia by Pete Lannon 2023
Deadline: Friday 27 October 11:00
Dance Base and PASS, Edinburgh College, are seeking two independent Choreographers / Physical Theatre Makers to lead a performance project with Edinburgh College’s BA Dance and Drama students!
If you are reading this and wondering if it is for you then please do read on – and if you have any questions, need some assistance with your application, or have any access requirements that we need to meet, then our team are here to help! Please just contact Kirsty Somerville on Kirsty.Somerville@dancebase.co.uk to arrange a time to speak.
This winter Dance Base are supporting the Performing Arts Studio Scotland (PASS) at Edinburgh College to recruit two choreographers and / or physical theatre makers with a strong movement background to work with the Edinburgh College degree students on a physical performance project which will take place in Edinburgh in early January 2024. Following two research and development days, the two artists will each work individually with a mixed cohort of up to 18 Dance and Drama degree students to create an ensemble performance piece of 30-minutes in length to meet module needs. This work will then be shared to the public on day six of the creation week at The Traverse.
The aim of this project is to provide the students with an insight into the development and delivery of a live movement ensemble work, while also supporting a Scotland-based choreographer to work with a large company for the week.
As the timeframe is limited, we anticipate that the choreographer will come to the project with a creative idea that they are already researching or practicing, and will use this experience to re-stage / re-scale it with the students, as opposed to crafting a new work from scratch during the week.
The opportunity will provide each artist with:
- A total fee of £1,600 (£200 per day), provided by PASS
- Support from PASS education team and Dance Base Artistic Director Tony Mills, as required
- Technical support to stage the work in a theatre space with a basic lighting design at The Traverse Theatre. Please note the tech rehearsal will be approximately 4 hours so this will be limited to approximately 10 lighting states.
- An additional access budget to support any access requirements as needed, including childcare, provided by Dance Base.
- Deadline | Friday 27 October
- Panel meet | Thursday 2 November
- Artists Informed | Week commencing 6 November 2023
- First Research & Development Day |Friday 8 December 2023
- Second Research & Development Day |Friday 15 December 2023
- Creation Week | 8 – 12 January 2024
- Performance Day | 13 January 2024
If you feel this opportunity is right for you, please download our application pack below and complete the Online Application Form.
If you are not sure or have any questions, please contact Kirsty Somerville, Head of Professional Programme, on Kirsty.Somerville@dancebase.co.uk