Artistic Director's Blog, 8 May 2018
Sunny side up or what? We are loving opening the windows of our beautiful studios to light and air once more.
Yesterday saw a refresher of PRIME who, the night before went on a mass Pina film binge that I happily joined. Did you know the early Bausch masterpiece Cafe Müller is now available in three parts on YouTube? Rewind to the days when Pina danced in the work and the company numbered about six people, every one of them with enough charisma, skill and passion to run the national grid.
Here's something else to do – a list of deadlines to know about and places to go (about!):
- Hidden Door - opening night of the festival is in Leith on May 25th and it has a juicy dance programme throughout the festival.
- A deadline for Tanzmesse applications– funded delegate places with The Work Room (deadline 7 May) for a festival I never see as it's in August, but I hear it's well worth the visit for networking with our European amigos, agents, promoters.
- DEBS Dancers Emerging Bursary Scheme Callout (Deadline: 14 May): If you or a millennial pal of yours has recently graduated please check out what the next year could hold for you. It helps if you're based in Edinburgh but it's not essential. Also don't miss this year's DEBS' showing on Friday 11th May, following a residence with Al Seed this week.
- Heads Up Callout (Deadline: 28 May): It's always a nail biting pleasure to do a one-off 15 minutes in the Fringe as part of this legendary scratch showcase and, of course, you might pop it onto your CV!
- Check out the amazing teachers we have lined up for July Professional Classes. They are Jack Webb, Tamsyn Russell and Lucy Suggate.
- Ballet Black are touring Scotland with their double bill in early June, not in Edinburgh but other parts of Bella Caledonia. I'm going to the Dundee show, as also longing to see and discover the new architectural wonder up there. Find out more here.
Click here for Dance News Pro – the Dance Base newsletter, filled with professional dance news, events, workshops and opportunities.