Dance Base Studios Will Open for Use by Professional Dance Community
In response to the Scottish Government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for creative studios and shared workspaces (published 30 June) Dance Base are planning a phased re-opening of our studios beginning on Wednesday 15 July 2020. This process will see a gradual re-opening of access to the Dance Base building for professional dance artists and workers in line with Government advice and with a focus on Health & Safety, social distancing requirements and increased hygiene protocols.
Phase 2 of the Government's Roadmap deems that professional sports can resume with public health restrictions remaining in place, and that those who cannot work from home can return to their place of work. Therefore, in order to support the professional dance community and provide much needed space to move, from 15 July we will begin a phased re-opening of Dance Base by opening two of our studio spaces to be used by the professional dance community with one artist per studio per day.
We understand that this opportunity will sadly not be accessible to all. Due to our location it will only be accessible to those in or comfortable to travel to Edinburgh, while those who are shielding, have caring responsibilities or do not feel comfortable entering a public space may not be able to take part. However, we hope that this offer will provide space and time for those who can use it and mark the first stage of our journey forward.
All elements of the plan are, of course, subject to change and dependant on Government advice and guidance, to which we will adhere strictly. We are looking forward to welcoming our dance community back into the venue, but it is our intention to do this with caution and consideration of the health and wellbeing of our artists and our staff.
How it will work:
- From Wednesday 15 July Dance Base are opening its Studios for use by local professional dance artists. Space will be given for the full day with staggered entry times between 09:30 and 16:30.
- There will be no charge for use of this space and no remuneration will be given either
- Initially only 1 artist will be allowed in a studio at a time, unless artists are part of the same household and have been so for at least two weeks. No guests are allowed in the space
- One member of the Dance Base team will be in the building each day to allow access to the space
- Dance Base will thoroughly clean the studio before and after use, cleaning materials will be provided in each space for the artist to use throughout the day
- Measures will be put in place in the building to ensure that social distancing is observed, and these must be followed
- All artists will need to agree to and sign an agreement document before entering the space. This will detail the measures that have been put in place and guidance that we ask each artist to consider before entering the building
How to book:
- To book a day’s space at Dance Base please email Kirsty Somerville, Programmes Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and requested date/s. Studio space will be offered for the full day. Artists do not need to use the full day but to allow for staggered entry we ask that the start times are adhered to and departure times are communicated in advance. If, due to health reasons or caring responsibilities, you require a later start time please let us know and we will try our best to accommodate this.
- You can book space up to 2 weeks in advance. Each artist can book a maximum for 2 days a week. If we have a high demand for space this may be reduced to ensure that we can support all of those who require the space
- Bookings will be taken on a first come first served basis
- Space that hasn’t been booked out will be advertised on the Dance Base social media pages the day before and offered on a first come first served basis
- Priority booking will be given to the Dance Base Associate Artists and Dance Emerging Bursary Scheme members as part of our commitment of support to them
- In Phase 3 of the Government’s Roadmap we may be able to extend studio use to small groups and provide half-day hire of the space. We will update this document accordingly and share information across our social media channels in advance of any changes. We will only make this decision when it is deemed safe to do so by the Scottish Government and the Dance Base team.
- From September we hope to restart our residency programme as planned. This term is currently programmed with rescheduled weeks from Spring and Summer 2020. In line with the feedback gained from the All Thoughts Welcome process, from 2021 our residency programme will be curated by a panel. Information on how and when to apply for the Spring weeks will be advertised in the Autumn 2020.
If you have any questions, thoughts or feedback on our phased re-opening plan please contact Kirsty Somerville, Programmes Manager, email@example.com