Bookings and Front of House Manager (Maternity Cover)
Dance Base is recruiting for a Bookings & Front of House Manager (maternity cover).
The post holder is responsible for managing the Bookings & Front of House team to present the public face of Dance Base and for ensuring that all users of the building and of Dance Base resources receive a welcome, friendly and efficient service in line with Dance Base Customer Commitment and Front of House policies and procedures. The role is also responsible for ensuring excellence in bookings and sales to ensure diligent financial management and to support the achievement of income targets. The Bookings and Front of House Manager will be a key holder.
Job Description: Bookings and Front of House Manager (maternity cover)
Reporting to: Head of Marketing & Communications
Key relationships: Bookings & Front of House Team, General Manager, Programmes Manager, Programmes Coordinator, Participation Manager, Facilities Manager.
This post is line managed by the Head of Marketing & Communications. The post holder will work in the following areas, in association with the Marketing & Communications Department, Hires and Operations, Finance Department, Programme & Participation Department and other staff as appropriate
To manage an effective and efficient bookings system and reception and in particular to:
- • manage payment receipt, registration and customer bookings records for all classes, workshops, showings, performances etc together with appropriate hires.
• ensure proper and relevant data capture of customer information at all times while adhering to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
• be responsible for training the Booking and Front of House Team in the use of box office systems and procedures
• assist with the maintenance and management of mailing lists and databases
• be responsible for daily income reconciliation and bank deposits and to deputise this task as required
• operate and manage an efficient Fringe Festival Box office
• prepare reports at regular intervals as required by other departments.
• ensure that Dance Base Customer Care policies and procedures are maintained and that the highest level of service is provided to all customers and users of the building
• ensure that all telephone, email, written and in-person enquiries are responded to or directed to the appropriate member of staff either directly or via reception staff
• arrange private hires including, but not limited to, party dance classes together with ad-hoc one hour professional and aerial hires. To be overseen by General Manager
Front of House:
- To service the Front of House area for community and professional dancers, hire customers, staff and visitors and in particular to:
- • work shifts and prepare in advance the weekly staff rota to cover the bookings and front of house functions and any events and/or hires
• be responsible for the health, safety and well-being of all users of the building while on duty and to report and record any incidents, accidents or irregularities as appropriate
• be responsible for securing and alarming the building when on duty and deputise this task as required
• ensure that the studios are ready and suitably equipped for use as required prior to the start of each class, workshop, residency or hire event
• facilitate hires and other events as required by the General Manager
• ensure the smooth running and start and finish times of all events whilst on duty
• ensure that all areas of the building, including changing rooms, are in good repair, clean, tidy and safe for use throughout the day/evening and report any issues
• manage an effective Festival Front of House and Box Office in August
• assist with participation class catering together with ensuring board meetings, hire meetings and guests are catered for
To develop and manage the Bookings and Front of House Team in particular to:
- • recruit, train, manage and appraise the work of the Bookings and Front of House Deputy/Duty Managers and FOH Assistants.
• ensure that staffing levels are maintained and replenished at the appropriate times.
• rota casual staff within the weekly and annual budget and report on costs to the Finance Director.
• ensure procedures, policies and initiatives are communicated effectively to staff.
Other duties include:
- • to attend briefings, planning and reporting meetings as required.
• to contribute to Dance Base sub-groups including Equalities and Green Teams, as required
• to abide by the terms of all Dance Base’s polices including the Health and Safety, and Equalities, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) and Safe Space Policy at all times
• to manage all aspects of Dance Base Merchandise purchasing, pricing and sales
• to undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required of the Bookings and Front of House Manager by the Head of Marketing & Communications
• 3 years’ reservations/box office/booking systems experience or equivalent
• 2 years’ experience of managing and supervising staff
• Ability to inspire and motivate a team
• Knowledge of and proven ability to deliver and maintain a high standard of customer care
• Experience of managing a Festival Box Office
• Excellent IT skills and experience of working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
• Cash handling experience
• Experience of working in a customer focused environment
• Experience of key-holding responsibilities
• Able to work on a shift basis, including evenings and weekends
• First Aid qualification
• A knowledge of and interest in dance and/or the arts
• Knowledge of Mindbody bookings system
• Knowledge of Red 61’s VIA ticketing software
• Office and administration experience
• IOSH Managing Safely qualification
• Ability to work flexibly across a wide job scope
Terms and conditions:
Salary: £22,500 per year for a 40 hour working week.
Overtime: No overtime is payable but will be given as Time off in Lieu in line with Dance Base TOIL policy.
Contract: 12 months’ maternity cover
Holidays: 22 days paid holiday per year plus 10 designated public holidays
Place of work: Dance Base, 14-16 Grassmarket, Edinburgh. Also infrequently at other locations as agreed with the Head of Marketing & Communications if required.
To apply for the post, please download the job pack and download and complete the application form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, marking the envelope with the code ‘BFOH20’ and post a hard copy to:
Or send your application forms in via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and ‘BFOH20’ in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 13.00 on Monday 3 February 2020 and interviews will be held on Tuesday 4 and Wednesday 5 February 2020.
Please do not submit CVs as these will not be accepted.
We look forward to receiving your application and thank you for your interest in Dance Base.
Dance Base is an equal opportunities employer welcoming applications from all sectors of the community.