Dance Base is recruiting for new Board Members. Full information pack and equal opportunities monitoring form available for download at the foot of the page.
Board of Directors Role Description
The Board of Directors is responsible for agreeing the strategic vision, mission and purpose of Dance Base and for guiding the organisation towards achieving its goals through good governance.
The Board governs the organisation and delegates operational responsibility to its General Manager. The General Manager has the key task of putting the Board’s strategies and policies into action and achieving results. However, the ultimate responsibility for every aspect of the Company’s operation lies with the Board of Directors.
The Board is required to meet together on a regular basis to consider and agree:
• The organisation’s strategy, which includes; vision, mission, aims and objectives
• The delivery of our three-year Business Plan
• Financial performance against targets
• Management and employment performance against targets
• Changes to the external environment in which the business operates that may affect the organisation.
Individually and collectively, Board members must ensure that the Board carries out its role. This requires individual members to:
• Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and Finance Sub-committee meetings
• Prepare for these meetings by reading relevant papers in advance.
• Probe areas of concern
• Contribute to discussion and decision making and share collective responsibility for the Board’s decisions
• Attend Board development events and keep up to date with subjects relevant to the Board and the organisation.
• Contribute, when required, to the work of working groups, or sub committees
• Represent the Board and promote the organisation at meetings and events when required
In addition, Board members are required to act as advocates for Dance Base, promoting Dance Base and its activities and needs to enhance the company’s profile and assist with fundraising for the company.
Terms of office
Board meetings usually take place five times each year and last two hours in length, depending on the business being discussed. Sub-committee meetings may take place between or prior to each full Board meeting. Board members are required to attend the full length of each meeting and must attend a minimum of 50% of meetings each year to continue in post. Any member who attends less regularly than this may be asked by the Chair to resign. No expenses can be claimed, unless otherwise agreed with the General Manager.
This is a non-remunerated position.
Board members will be invited to serve an initial term of office of three years, which may be renewed for a maximum of one further three-year term.
Desired attributes of a Board Member:
• An enthusiasm for the work of Dance Base
• A commitment to carry out the duties of a Board Member
• A respected member of the community with good business, artistic or related connections
• Able to work as a member of a team and a willingness to state personal convictions and, equally, to accept a majority decision and be tolerant of the views of other people
• A willingness to deal openly with staff and colleague Board Members
• A preparedness to offer personal and business skills and experience to support the work of the staff when required
• Able to act as a champion for Dance Base
To register your interest, please download and complete the equal opportunities form together
with a personal statement, marking the envelope with the code DB-BD19 and send
Chair of Dance Base Board
Send by email (title: DB-BD19) to:
Matt Roe. General Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date to register interest is 20/09/19
Dance Base is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all
sectors of the community.
Dance Base is particularly looking for a new board member who is a member of
the artistic dance community. We are also interested in the those with a skillset in